“ – Join me… Or die…” – Gellert Grindelwald
HAPPY FIRST ANNIVERSARY!!!
One year ago, today (November 16), the second installment of “Fantastic Beasts” film series, named “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” was released worldwide. The movie was first planned to have its world premiere held in New York, but for unknown reasons, the original dates had to be changed. The premiere happened in November 8, in Paris, with the main cast attending. Johnny only attended the second premiere, held in London in November 14. The last premiere, instead of New York, was held in Tokyo in November 21.
In this movie, Johnny reprised his role as the most powerful dark wizard of all the times: Gellert Grindelwald.
> Synopsis: At the end of the first film, the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Johnny Depp) was captured by MACUSA (Magical Congress of the United States of America), with the help of Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne). But, making good on his threat, Grindelwald escaped custody and has set about gathering followers, most unsuspecting of his true agenda: to raise pure-blood wizards up to rule over all non-magical beings. In an effort to thwart Grindelwald’s plans, Albus Dumbledore (Jude Law) enlists his former student Newt Scamander, who agrees to help, unaware of the dangers that lie ahead. Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided wizarding world.
* This movie marks the 13th collaboration between Johnny and the costume designer, Colleen Atwood, over the last 30 years.
* Due to Amber Heard’s Hoax, many people wanted J.K. Rowling to replace Johnny, but neither the writter, the directors or the producers did it. Instead, they defended Johnny, who also confessed had felt bad for bringing such trouble for their side. J.K. Rowling, who also suffered with domestic abuse, is also one of the few people to had seen evidence documents of his innocence. On twitter and on her own site she openly defended him saying: “Based on our understanding of the circumstances, the filmmakers and I are not only comfortable sticking with our original casting, but genuinely happy to have Johnny playing a major character in the movies.”
* Due to their different scedules, out the main cast, Johnny only didn’t film with Jude Law. The mirror scene was filmed separated.
* Due to his busy schedule, Johnny’s biggest promotion for the movie was appearing by surprise during the San Diego’ 2018 Comic Con, in June 21, fully dressed as Grindelwald and reciting an alternate speech from the original in the movie.
* It took 5 months for the “Grindelwald’s Escape” and the “Thestral Chase” sequences to be finished, since the devolepment of ideas, storyboard and later weeks of filming in a chroma key studio. Johnny did all of his scenes while attached to suspended wires while being hit by water and wind. Another difficult part was the &Grindelwald’s speech&, which took almost one month to be completely filmed with more than 500 extras and dozen of reheasals.
* Talking about reheasals, Grindelwald and Leta’s scene at the amphitheater was filmed in at least 4 different ways. All of them, the only difference was Grindelwald’s tone of speech.
* Grindelwald’ blue spell, “Protego Diabolica” is only spoken on the official script. It’s unknown if Johnny pronoucing the spell was filmed, neither why it was cut from the final release.
* At least four scenes featuring Grindelwald weren’t released. One seems to be him in his hideout, two scenes with Queenie, one during the first meeting with Queenie and other ar the Numengard garden, and one seen during a rehearsal while interacting with a follower at the anphitheater.
* Johnny said he was surprised amd honored for J.K. Rowling giving him full freedom to build the character. They used to talked for hours, and although most of the writters doesn’t like to change their characters, she never dictated how Grindelwald should be, and was always open for his ideas which made her curious about how he was going to build the character. Colleen Atwood also revealed that they used to listen to Marylin Manson’s songs to get some inspiration as they talked about Grindelwald’s german roots. Johnny and Colleen also researched about the 30’s fashion to choose the closest fabrics for Grindelwald’s suit.
* Grindelwald’s look, hair style and the two different eyes colours were all Johnny’s choice aproved by the filmmakers. Even the beginning was also Johnny’s choice to look on rags, so Colleen did his clothes made of fabric inspired on the Japanese firemen. On the original concept art, Grindelwald kept his short hair, and no beard but was shirtless while on his cell.
* Johnny and the whole cast is expected to reprise their roles on the upcoming third movie. Filming is set to start next year.
Ps. There are some other curiosities to talk about, but my computer, unfortunately, is on maintenace again, so I won’t be able to post some behind the scenes videos or photos from Johnny as Grindelwald. As soon as I can, I’ll be posting and updating some LQ for HQ photos too.