UPDATE!!! Unfortunately, Johnny will not attend the City Gala 2020.
Saturday (February 1), few hours before the AMAZING #JusticeForJohnnyDepp party
on Twitter, the official City Gala account on Instagram released an update and
an important note about the upcoming event which set to happen next February
7th through 9th at Burbank Marriott Convention Center, in Burbank, California.
Unfortunately, Johnny will not attend the event due to change on his schedule.
It’s REALLY IMPORTANT to know that Johnny DO NOT cancel something important for
nothing. Although having a really busy schedule he does his best to attend
The City Gala also posted a note that Johnny wrote a note:
“Thank you to
City Gala and its organizers for including me as an honoree for the 2020 gala
event. I was pleased to accept the honor and was looking forward to speaking to
the organization’s group of philanthropists. Obligations for a movie came up
unexpectedly and I regretfully cannot attend this year’s gala event. I wish you
all a great event and an abundance of funds raised for the cause”
We all know that Johnny had a movie to make this month, but I think it was
somehow postponed. Which movie is coming? Well it’s unknown, but there’s a HUGE
probability to be the upcoming “Fantastic Beasts 3”.
There were some rumors about the beginning of the filming, like Jude Law who
was spotted last January 30 in London, with a slightly grown beard. It’s
believable to maybe to be for an older version of Dumbledore.
Also there are casting calls for an unnamed “major new feature film” which will
be shooting in London and the South East between February and July 2020. German speakers, woman with short hair,
Brazilian Portuguese fluent speakers of all ages, looks and ethnicities are
being wanted. Also, there’s a casting call for real market coconut seller with
machete skills for an unnamed “major new feature film” to be filmed during the
same period of year. As J.K. Rowling said, the upcoming movie is also set to happen in
the 30’s Rio de Janeiro, and the filming is set to be just like in the “Crimes
of Grindelwald” were the scenes in Paris were filmed in a studio in UK.
Linked or not, let’s stay
tuned for more information, any time soon!
December 23, the American singer, songwriter, actress, music video director, environmental
activist, and also the famous wizard Queenie Goldstein in the “Fantastic
Beasts” franchise, turns 38 years old!
A little bit of Alison Sudol:
Alison is currently doing the same thing as Johnny – sharing his life between
the acting and singing life. While in the movies, this year, she featured in short movie named “White Echo”,
will feature on the upcoming and already finished 2020 movie “The Last Full
Measure” and is set to reprise her role as Queenie in “Fantastic Beasts 3″, in
her musical life, only this year, the alternative/ indie rock singer, released a pretty
good 4 tracks EP named “Moonlite”, a music video, a 14 days tour in the USA and
also sings on the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts holiday album “A Magical
Time of Year” singing “Have Yourself a Merry Christmas”… About this album I would be great to have Johnny singing a rock song …
Alison has been an actress since 1997, playing in small roles, later featuring in series, short movies and finally big movies. She’s also a singer since 2007 first playing with her band, under the name “A Fine Frenzy” with 3
studio albuns, 1 live and 6 EPs. Since 2017 she has releasing single songs
under her real name, and this year she premiered her second EP, and I gotta
tell you… She indeed sings (and plays a lot of instruments too).
And I’d love a collaboration song featuring Alison and Johnny too… Their voices would make a perfect slow ballad.
Back to the movie life: Alison and Johnny – Grindelwald and Queenie.
“- There’s real darkness to him, and yet, he is soft spoken about it. There’s a real reserve that’s quite scary.” – Alison Sudol talking about Grindelwald on a interview on the blu-ray edition.
celebrate this day, these are some better quality photos of two deleted scenes
from “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”.
Grindelwald tries to convince Queenie.
The first photo happens when Queenie meets Grindelwald for the first time in
his hideout. In the movie she kept pointing her wand in his direction, until he
gently convinces her to hand over the object. On this scene, it seems that he
is trying to be “friendly” towards her, who has a blanket to keep her warm
after the rain. In the book “Lights, Camera, Magic! – The Making of Fantastic
Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”, the photo is described as “Grindelwald
tries to convince Queenie”.
2) Queenie is given plenty to think about by Grindelwald.
second photo, Grindelwald leaves an astonished Queenie in a garden, probably in
Numengard. In the book, “Lights, Camera, Magic! – The Making of Fantastic
Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”, the photo is described as “Queenie is given
plenty to think about by Grindelwald”. A small take can be seen on the Crimes of Grindelwald DVD extra content named “Unlocking Scene Secrets: Grindelwald’s Escape and the Ring of Fire" (It’s the first gif on this post)
As Johnny and
the director David Yates already revealed, they filmed several different takes
from one single scene. Maybe these scenes were one of these rehearsal shootings, or
a deleted scene that may never be revealed, or even a scene recorded to be
added on the next movie, but there’s a high probability of the Numengard scene be
added in Fantastic Beasts 3, maybe as an opening sequence, or a deleted scene on
DVD extra content, just like it happened with Credence’s deleted scene on the “Crimes of
Grindelwald” DVD named “Credence Reborn” which revealed what happened to him after
his escape from death as a shred of his Obscurus. Fingers crossed!
Today, December 1, Zöe Kravitz, who played Leta Lestrange in “Fantastic Beasts:
The Crimes of Grindelwald” turns 31 years old!
To celebrate this day,
here is a behind the scenes of Johnny and Zoë, as Grindelwald and Leta at the
underground amphitheater sequence, revealing one of the scenes which was
filmed, or rehearsed, in several different ways before the final version shown
in the movie.
* In an interview for the L.A. times, Zöe revealed being a fan of Johnny and
that she was “stoked” for filming with him.
* It’s unknown if the news about Zöe returning on the
upcoming third movie is true, but was confirmed by David Yates,
that the relationship between Leta and Newt, which seems to be more than friendship, less than full romance, will definitely be explored in the next(s) Fantastic Beasts installment(s).
* Talking about next movies, there’s a huge probability of Leta being
somehow related to Bellatrix Lestrange, who was played by the amazing
Helena Bonham Carter in the Harry Potter franchise. Just as the surname suggests, there are some great details
sustaining this theory:
1) During an interview, for the “The Independent”
in 2017, Zöe probable leaked a huge spoiler while talking about her character: “I play Helena Bonham Carter’s
great-great aunt. She’s an icon of mine so it’s a real pinch-me feeling to even
be associated with her. I think her performance in ‘Fight Club’ is one of the
best by a woman in a film.”
Ps. Keep in mind that the only people who knows the back story of the character
is J.K. Rowling and those who are going to play the characters.
2) During the “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” London Premiere, last year, everybody was caught by
surprise when Helena Bonham Carter attended the blue carpet. Some people
thought that it was just coincidence, but for me and some other fans, this could have been a confirmation that another Harry Potter character may be joining the Fantastic
TBT: “No one is a
more graceful actor in a costume than Johnny. When he knows it’s right, his
movements in the costume sells the design” – Colleen Antwoord.
Behind the scenes, promotional photoshoot and Colleen’s quote for the “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” taken from the official books: “Lights, Camera, Magic! The Making of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” and the AMAZING book: “The Archive of Magic The Film Wizardry of
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”.
Ps. If you are a Fantastic Beasts
and/or Harry Potter fan, the official books released last year along the movie are fantastic. But this last one (Archive of Magic) is a MUST HAVE book to have on your shelf.
There’s a LOT of never seen information, photos and even props, such Flamel’s card, Credence’s
certificate of adoption, Newt’s identity card, Tina’s card, Grindelwald’s stylized
bookmark, newspapers, posters, stickers, behind the scenes and interviews. I bough then some time ago and even though about scanning the photos for a better definition, but this one is so big and heavy I was afraid of damaging it. So I rather chose to take some photos. Depending from where you live, it can little bit expensive, but it’s an awesome book to have it.
TBT: Costume designer, Colleen Atwood, talks about Johnny’s choice for the first scene of Grindelwald in “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”
wanted to be covered in cobwebs (laughs) So we started laying on these tiny,
thin threads that look aged and ‘webby’” – Colleen Atwood.
Johnny always making the best decisions… BEST ACTOR EVER!
PS. The first two pictures I took from the AMAZING book: “The Archive of Magic The Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”. The last two pictures and Atwood’s interview can be found on the book “Lights, Camera, Magic! The Making of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”. The last one is a totally different concept art, probably from before Johnny’s change for the Grindelwald’s sequence on his prison cell.
“ – Do you think you can hold me?” – Gellert Grindelwald
ago, today, (November 18), “Fantastic
Beasts and Where to Find Them”, the first installment in the “Fantastic
Beasts” series, was released worldwide. The movie premiered in November 10 at Alice Tully Hall in New York and started to be screened one week later in
various countries around the world. In this movie, we have a glimpse of what
it’s now Johnny’s newest character: Gellert Grindelwald, the most dangerous
Dark Wizard of all the times.
* Johnny is the first character to appear in the movie, but we only have a view from his back, followed by newspapers alerting about his dangerousness. Later, a wanted poster is shown in a bar, but with his picture torn. In the end, it takes 1h 49 minutes to finally watch Johnny as Grindelwald.
* Johnny only speaks 2 lines in this
movie (“Do you think you can hold me?” and
“Will we die just a little?”) and both is a hint for what happens in “Fantastic
Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”
* This was the first time Johnny played
a wizard character in his career.
* Johnny’s role was kept in secret even
from the cast. The only thing known at the time was that he would appear in the
movie, but his character was not said. Many people got surprised when he
appeared in the end, and the cast only knew in the post-production.
* This is Johnny second movie with a
longer franchise after the five movies of “Pirates of the Caribbean”. And the
third with a sequel, after the two Alice’s movie and also Pirates of the
Caribbean. Fantastic Beasts was originally intended to be a trilogy, now is set
to be a franchise with 5 movies, but it’s unknown in how many of them will
Johnny be present.
“- Do you think you can hold me?”
Happy third anniversary for the“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”! The first installment in the “Fantastic Beasts” series, and Johnny’s debut as the dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald was released on this day, (November 18), worldwide!
Behind the Scenes:Johnny while filming the Grindelwald’s Escape.
(November 16), we celebrated the first anniversary of the release of “Fantastic
Beasts and the Crimes of Grindelwald”, so let’s keep talking about one of the breathtaking scenes: “The
Grindelwald’s Escape and the Thestral Chase” ! These scenes are considered one of the most
challenging sequences on “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” because, as the SFX Supervisor, Christian Manz, says, the sequence happens at night
between lighting, rain, wind and a lot of action between the actors and those who help to move the actors on the brooms. It took 5 months for the sequences to be finished, since the development of
ideas, storyboard and later, weeks of filming in a Chroma key green studio with the visit of J.K. Rowling, David Yates and the producers. Johnny did all of his scenes fantastically, although being pelted by water and wind, while attached to
suspended wires to film his scenes as well protect him from falling.
Tomorrow, is the third anniversary of the “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”, so let’s keep talking about Grindelwald too.
Ps. The scenes
above were taken from my Blu-ray Edition of the movie and the book “Lights, Camera, Magic!:
The Making of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”, which I already posted some photos, but I’ll re-post them.
One year ago, today (November 16), the second installment of “Fantastic Beasts” film series, named “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” was released worldwide. The movie was first planned to have its world premiere held in New York, but for unknown reasons, the original dates had to be changed. The premiere happened in November 8, in Paris, with the main cast attending. Johnny only attended the second premiere, held in London in November 14. The last premiere, instead of New York, was held in Tokyo in November 21.
In this movie, Johnny reprised his role as the most powerful dark wizard of all the times: Gellert Grindelwald.
> Synopsis: At the end of the first film, the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Johnny Depp) was captured by MACUSA (Magical Congress of the United States of America), with the help of Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne). But, making good on his threat, Grindelwald escaped custody and has set about gathering followers, most unsuspecting of his true agenda: to raise pure-blood wizards up to rule over all non-magical beings. In an effort to thwart Grindelwald’s plans, Albus Dumbledore (Jude Law) enlists his former student Newt Scamander, who agrees to help, unaware of the dangers that lie ahead. Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided wizarding world.
* This movie marks the 13th collaboration between Johnny and the costume designer, Colleen Atwood, over the last 30 years.
* Due to Amber Heard’s Hoax, many people wanted J.K. Rowling to replace Johnny, but neither the writter, the directors or the producers did it. Instead, they defended Johnny, who also confessed had felt bad for bringing such trouble for their side. J.K. Rowling, who also suffered with domestic abuse, is also one of the few people to had seen evidence documents of his innocence. On twitter and on her own site she openly defended him saying: “Based on our understanding of the circumstances, the filmmakers and I are not only comfortable sticking with our original casting, but genuinely happy to have Johnny playing a major character in the movies.”
* Due to their different scedules, out the main cast, Johnny only didn’t film with Jude Law. The mirror scene was filmed separated.
* Due to his busy schedule, Johnny’s biggest promotion for the movie was appearing by surprise during the San Diego’ 2018 Comic Con, in June 21, fully dressed as Grindelwald and reciting an alternate speech from the original in the movie.
* It took 5 months for the “Grindelwald’s Escape” and the “Thestral Chase” sequences to be finished, since the devolepment of ideas, storyboard and later weeks of filming in a chroma key studio. Johnny did all of his scenes while attached to suspended wires while being hit by water and wind. Another difficult part was the &Grindelwald’s speech&, which took almost one month to be completely filmed with more than 500 extras and dozen of reheasals.
* Talking about reheasals, Grindelwald and Leta’s scene at the amphitheater was filmed in at least 4 different ways. All of them, the only difference was Grindelwald’s tone of speech.
* Grindelwald’ blue spell, “Protego Diabolica” is only spoken on the official script. It’s unknown if Johnny pronoucing the spell was filmed, neither why it was cut from the final release.
* At least four scenes featuring Grindelwald weren’t released. One seems to be him in his hideout, two scenes with Queenie, one during the first meeting with Queenie and other ar the Numengard garden, and one seen during a rehearsal while interacting with a follower at the anphitheater.
* Johnny said he was surprised amd honored for J.K. Rowling giving him full freedom to build the character. They used to talked for hours, and although most of the writters doesn’t like to change their characters, she never dictated how Grindelwald should be, and was always open for his ideas which made her curious about how he was going to build the character. Colleen Atwood also revealed that they used to listen to Marylin Manson’s songs to get some inspiration as they talked about Grindelwald’s german roots. Johnny and Colleen also researched about the 30’s fashion to choose the closest fabrics for Grindelwald’s suit.
* Grindelwald’s look, hair style and the two different eyes colours were all Johnny’s choice aproved by the filmmakers. Even the beginning was also Johnny’s choice to look on rags, so Colleen did his clothes made of fabric inspired on the Japanese firemen. On the original concept art, Grindelwald kept his short hair, and no beard but was shirtless while on his cell.
* Johnny and the whole cast is expected to reprise their roles on the upcoming third movie. Filming is set to start next year.
Ps. There are some other curiosities to talk about, but my computer, unfortunately, is on maintenace again, so I won’t be able to post some behind the scenes videos or photos from Johnny as Grindelwald. As soon as I can, I’ll be posting and updating some LQ for HQ photos too.